Monday, February 01, 2016

A Fresh Start

I've been mulling getting back into this for a while, but I just generally can't be bothered. I didn't do well blogging about my feelings and life, but sometimes I really want to tell people about the food in my life, and so this is happening. Sometimes it'll be recipes I tried - and how they turned out, sometimes food I ate somewhere, and sometimes snack reviews.

The real impetus to my return to the blog is because I just got this huge box stuffed full of Korean snacks from my brother's girlfriend. She got hooked on stroopwafels while she was here visiting him, and agreed to a snack exchange in return for more wafels.


So, it's all Korean snacks for at least a minute.


First up, Pumpkin Taffy. I was hoping for a quick, easy, inoffensive treat. My experience with pumpkin pudding Kit Kats from Japan made me think this was the right choice. First bite: bad idea to bite down hard, these are quite firm at first. They soften well as you chew, attaining a true taffy consistency. I didn't like the first taste I got of the pumpkin. It was too vegetal. As I chewed, though, a sweetness came out that made things more palatable. Final thoughts: very lightly flavored, not bad, not amazing. Glad it wasn't just pumpkin spices, though.



Next, I had some Lobster Wavy Potato Chips with my sandwich. I was worried that these would be very funky and briny - I don't like the taste of the ocean. The actual flavor of the chips is very mild. A little salt, a touch of sugar, maybe something else going on? Almost just a plain potato chip, although occasionally I would open the bag for another chip and I would get a teeny whiff of lobster/crab/shellfishiness. I never tasted that though.



I was very excited for snack cakes. I started with the round ones, because they looked smaller, and also like maybe there was jam inside. First impression - moon pie sized, coated in chocolate like a moon pie, but about half as thick. I took a bite. Hmm.. That's an odd texture. This is very chewy. So chewy. Lightly sweet. Not terrible. But not at all what I was expecting. No jam, by the way. I ate the whole thing. Then I had to google what I could because it was not like any snack cake I'd had before. I finally found it - Glutinous Rice Cake. That explains the texture. I guess I'd be okay to eat another one, but it's not something I think I'll ever crave. Which makes the fact that I have a ton of them.. something. I would feel bad throwing them away, but I don't feel so bad about wasting food that I'd want to commit to finishing the box.


Maybe the rectangle snack cakes will be better (cheesecake?, although the swiss-looking cheese on the box has me concerned). Okay, this one is actual cake. Sweet, bland, maybe a hint of cheesy tang? They're okay. I don't dread the thought of having to eat the rest of them.



Peach chewy candies. These look like Hi-Chews. Chewy, sweet, SO PEACHY! These are quite strong, but I like that. I wonder why some of the snacks are whispers of flavor and these are full volume? No complaints. I do kind of wish she'd sent more flavors, but I'm glad peach made the cut. Mmm.

No comments: