Monday, February 08, 2016

Box 1 Part 2

Well, I've been working through more of the Korean snacks in box #1. Ready to hear about them?


Choco and Crispy Rice Snacks. It's in English! So I expected these to be individual pieces of puffed rice, coated in chocolate. I was half right. They are about the size of banana runts (maybe puffier). It's a crescent of what I assume is cooked rice mush (too big to be one grain). The rice is very crunchy and entirely unsweetened. Just toasty rice flavor. The chocolate layer (should I assume that choco means chocolate, or is this like in America where if you don't use the real word it's not 100% legit?) is quite thin, but decently dark. You can taste chocolate, not just sugar. The chocolate doesn't overwhelm the rice, but I found that after the initial bite the flavor disappears pretty quickly.


These are little crackers in cute animal shapes. I wondered if the characters are from a show, or something because the penguin in the helmet seems odd if you're just doing animal crackers. These are quite plain. Like a less buttery Ritz. Good texture, the shapes hold up well (not a bag of crumbs). Not bad at all.




Okay, so I have only tried the chocolate straws at the moment. I'll have to share about strawberry after I buy more milk. These are clear plastic straws filled with tiny (nonpareil-sized) beads of chocolate or strawberry milk flavoring. At the top and the bottom of each straw, the plastic is crimped partially closed, with evenly spaced holes too small for the beads to slip out of. You take the straw out of a plastic bag, stick it into your glass of milk, and suck. As the milk goes through the straw it dissolves the flavoring beads and creates chocolate or strawberry milk.  In theory. It ends up being kind of like the milk in your cereal bowl. Right after you pour, you get maybe a tiny hint of the initial flavor. It takes time for the milk to steep and take on the fruity or chocolaty tones. After the initial pulls proved nearly flavorless, I let the straw sit, occasionally providing just enough suction to fill the straw with milk. Eventually my glass of milk started turning light brown and the chocolate beads had started to dissolve. My straw was less than half full of chocolate sludge when I decided to drink in earnest. 10, 15 minutes? Not impressed. Still a very light chocolate flavor, with the occasional sugary hit of goop making it through the small holes at the top of the straw. To be fair, maybe I used too much milk for the straw (around 200 ml). The directions weren't very clear on ratios, just that you should put the straw in a glass of milk and drink. (Do not cut the straw.) Not too thrilled about the strawberry if it's a repeat of the chocolate, even though I do like strawberry milk on occasion.

No comments: