Monday, February 08, 2016

A quick interlude of seasonal M&Ms

I have more Korean snacks to get to, but I want to talk about the seasonal M&Ms I tried recently before they are out of place. So for some marketing reason, the sent out one flavor to Walmart and one flavor to Target. It makes trying them both more difficult, but whatever. My mom gets extra bonus points for going out of her way to get both for me.



First up, Strawberry with Milk Chocolate. These are meant to taste like chocolate-covered strawberries, I think. They are bigger than a regular M&M, but the same size as a lot of their novelty, seasonal flavors (roughly the size of peanut butter M&Ms as well). I wonder why the bigger size? Possibly to make sure you can taste whatever subtler flavors they try to add? So - big, dark shades of pink. A bit of a fake strawberry flavor if you smell the bag. Taste? Well, at first you get the typical milk chocolate M&M flavor. But that is quickly joined by an unpleasant level of artificial strawberry. I tried a few just to see if the flavors balance, and the first taste was just a shock. Nope. Noooooooooope. These are.. not for me. They are somehow flat and overwhelming at the same time.




I had heard these were better, but that couldn't be hard to do after the last bag. So these are Strawberry Shortcake inspired. White, cream, and light pink candy coating over white chocolate with strawberry flavoring. Big, novelty-sized. These are not bad at all. The artificial flavoring is toned down, the smooth sweetness of the white chocolate balances well. They aren't my favorite M&M. I probably wouldn't buy them again - once is enough to satisfy my curiousity - but these are slowly getting eaten. If no one else likes the milk chocolate ones they will end up in the garbage.

No comments: