Monday, February 08, 2016

While I'm talking about different things...

I might as well mention a few other things I've been trying, since I'm off-topic. First, a few German items.

On the left is Kohl-Röschen. That means Cabbage sprouts, or blossoms. I googled them and have seen them listed as both Flower Sprouts and Kalettes. They are a crossbreed of Brussels Sprouts and Kale. Honestly, they're quite good. They are milder than Sprouts, and less chewy than any kale I've eaten before. I roasted most of the bag for dinner one night. My husband even ate them, which was quite a surprise. I haven't seen them in the store since I first bought them, but they were not bad.  I did save a few out for a smoothie, since it was mentioned on the bag and online that they worked well for that purpose. I have a terrible cheap blender. It was a bad idea. I ended up with bits of the core/stalk that were not great to chew, and the whole thing had an odd grassy taste that lingered for hours after drinking.

On the right are two new Ritter Sport flavors. In the back is White Yogurt Mousse. It's one of three spring flavors. (Each season RS releases 3 seasonal bars). The other two spring flavors this year are repeats from last year, so I didn't bother with them. Good white chocolate flavor on the bar. The Yogurt Mousse filling was smooth and creamy, not too sweet, and lightly tangy. It balances well. I'm just not really feeling it. I'll have the occasional square, but I wont be sad to see this flavor go as summer gets closer.

The other Ritter Sport bar is Crispy Tortilla Chip. It's a traditional milk chocolate bar with crunchy bits of corn tortilla chip and... like corn nut pieces? (not seasoned, and not branded. I just don't know what else to call them) inside.  I didn't not have high hopes here. And I was extra concerned after buying a tray of nachos at a local theater and realizing with my first bite that the chips were like Doritos instead of being plain tortilla chips. I like Doritos as much as the next person, but the cheese sauce did not jive with the chip seasoning. And I kept hoping that there was no flavor dust on the chip bits in this chocolate. There wasn't! This bar of chocolate was quite good. The crunchy parts are perfectly crunchy and the milk chocolate is brightened by the extra salt. I intended to sample one square (each bar is divided into 9 or 16 squares from the mold), but ended up eating 3 or 4. This isn't going to knock my favorite flavor off its perch (Honey Salt Almond, seriously so good), but I did eat the whole thing and I'm excited to share.

No comments: