Monday, August 15, 2016

Oreos: Choco Chip, Fruity Crisp, and S'mores Limited Editions

Well, here they are. The latest batch of Limited Edition Oreos. I truly wish I could just buy the little 4 cookie snack pack sizes of these things. I know, I know, if people are willing to shell out for the whole thing to try the flavor why would they bother... Anyway.

First up, Choco Chip Cookie. I assumed this was a rehash of the cookie dough flavor. But closer inspection reveals there are 'choco chips' (or at least dark specks) in the oreo cookie, to mimic a chocolate chip cookie. Similar specks can be found in the creme. These smell vaguely vanilla-y and taste like a vanilla cupcake candle. I mean.. The aroma. I don't eat candles. Nothing chocolate that I could isolate, just heavy vanilla. Pretty bland, all told.

As soon as I pulled open the seam of the Fruity Crisp Oreos (which, why are they the only ones of this batch without the convenient easy-open tab on top?), I was assaulted with the smell of Fruity Pebbles. Well, I say Fruity Pebbles, but it was a close call between that and some sort of kitchen cleaner. FP cranked wayyyy up. The actual cereal doesn't smell as strongly as opening the packaging here would do.  Taste? They messed up. That big bowl of Pebbles on the front and these are definitely more Froot Loop. The flavor is spot on for the cereal though. Whatever food science was used to make that happen went too far, though. I could taste this for at least an hour after I ate it. (And I only ate 1, so... whoa on the whoas everyone.) A final note: there are bits of Pebbles in the creme to add a little extra crunch. This, I do like. It reminds me of the Marshmallow Crispy Oreo, one of my all-time favorite LE Oreos.

S'mores. I feel like this is a very extended Limited Edition? Or a quick re-release? Regardless, these were another disappointment. The cookie does have a vague graham note. The creme didn't really hit on chocolate or marshmallow, just plain creme. 

Am I picky? Probably. I'm wondering now if it's me or if Oreo has a hard time hitting the scant middle ground between not enough flavor to tell and 'why can't I get this taste to go away it's been hours'?

No comments: